How do the ice dams and icicles form?
ice dams and icicles form when accumulated snow on the roof melts and refreezes at the eaves and in the valleys. the ice dams and icicles form during the winter in these steps:
- Snow accumulates on the roof during winter snow storms.
- Snow compresses in the valleys and forms ice dams at the
- base of the valleys.
- Snow melt occurs between the accumulated snow and the
- roof surface.
- The melted snow runs down the roof to the eaves and
- refreezes forming ice dams and icicles.
- The water ponding builds up behind the ice dams.
- Continuous melt and refreeze of snow during the temperature cycles in winter increases the size and severity of the icicles and ice dams.
Why does it matter?
- Water ponding behind the ice dams can penetrate through
- your roof and cause:
- – interior water damage leading to mold and mildew
- – Structural damage
- Roof ice dams and icicles pose many hazards to people
- and property
- – Randomly falling icicles are dangerous for
- pedestrians below
- – the ice dams and icicles can also damage the roof,
- gutters, decks and other personal property
- ice dams and icicles mar the aesthetics of your building
Raychem Roof and Gutter De-icing Systems
Raychem roof and gutter de-icing systems include a suite of solutions that are designed to meet your application requirements. typically the performance requirements of a system vary based on the severity of snow accumulation and snow fall in a given area. the roof and gutter de-icing solution is selected based on the classifcations of these snow areas into three classes as shown in the adjoining graph.
in addition to the snow accumulation and snow fall, there are many other criteria in designing and selecting a roof and gutter de-icing system. these include the weather patterns and temperature cycles, ambient temperatures, wind speeds, lake effects, elevation, northern/southern roof exposures, type of roof and roof material, overhang distance and roof features such as dormers, towers and valleys.
FroStop Systems for Roof and Gutter De-Icing
The FroStop system provides simple design, easy installation, and complete accessories for roof and gutter de-icing. Backed by more than 20 years of Raychem expertise with snow and ice, FroStop is the solution for a wide range of applications:
- Standing seam roofs
- Sloped roofs and valleys
- Flat roofs
- Gutters and downspouts
- Plastic and metal roofs
- Shake and shingle roofs
- Slate and tile roofs
- Roofs without gutters
FroStop Heating Cable Performance
The conductive polymer heating core regulates its power output in response to the temperature.
Simple and reliable:
- Can be overlapped.
- Will not burn out.
- Saves energy.
- Will not overheat roofing materials or plastic gutters.
Current flows between the two bus wires independently at each point along the heating cable.
Easy to design and install:
- Easily accommodates field routing changes.
- Can be teed and spliced to accommodate downspouts.
You can check our roof and futter heating solutions here:
About Samm Teknoloji
Samm Teknoloji is a manufacturing and engineering company with services in different sectors, especially fiber optic systems and IoT. It has many patents in fiber to the home infrastructure (FTTH) and Data Center equipment, and has developed a wide variety of products in its own field and presented it to the use of the industry.
In addition, it is among the leading companies with its services in turnkey electrical contracting works, heat tracing, and informatics sectors.
Samm, Samm Teknoloji, Foyer, FOTAS are registered Trademarks of SAMM Teknoloji A.S. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.