Electric snow melting systems can keep walkways, parking garage / loading ramps, stairways and other areas free of snow and ice to help prevent slip hazards.
Electric Snow Melting System
Pentair Thermal Management offers heat trace cables that provide surface snow melting and anti-icing for concrete surfaces and pavers. These snow melt systems keep walkways, parking garages, loading ramps, stairways and other areas free of snow and ice to help prevent slip hazards.
Whereas other surface snow melting systems, such as hydronic heating systems, require a complex design that:
- Requires regular maintenance to various components
- Can be an environmental hazard as there is a potential risk of leaking glycol into the soil
Pentair Thermal Management electric snow melting systems have a simple design that are maintenance free and do not present any environmental hazards.
We offer two fully integrated electric surface snow melting systems, which include:
- Electric heat trace cables — the Raychem ElectroMelt heat trace cables for concrete surfaces and pavers which reduces heat output automatically as the pavement warms; or Pyrotenax mineral insulated (MI) heat trace cables for concrete, asphalt, and pavers which provides constant power output
- Connection kits and accessories – items for making electrical connections and properly completing the installation, such as power connection and end seal kits, junction boxes, and caution signs
- Advanced control systems – devices such as sensing thermostats and controllers, monitor and/or control the heat trace cable to help maintain the temperature of the surface
- Power distribution system – electric panels for installations that require power distribution with single-phase or three-phase circuits
In winter, snow and ice can accumulate on outdoor concrete and asphalt surfaces used by people and vehicles, which can cause slipping hazards preventable with snow melting cables.
Reliable, Efficient Surface Snow Melting
Let our electric snow melting systems keep your walkways, parking garages, loading ramps, stairways and other areas free of snow and ice to help prevent slip hazards.
Pentair Thermal Management offers a variety of integrated technologies to meet your specific electric snow melting needs. We are the world leader in heat tracing solutions. We have sold over one billion feet of Raychem self-regulating heat trace cable and are known for technical leadership and expertise in polymer science and radiation cross-linking. Our Pyrotenax mineral insulated heat trace cable has been an industry leader for over 75 years. And, we offer the most advanced line of heat-trace control and monitoring systems.
Raychem ElectroMelt electric snow melting system:
- Reduces heat output automatically as the pavement warms, resulting in lower energy use, and eliminating the possibility of overheating
- Has snow melting cables that are protected by a tinned-copper braid encased in a polyolefin outer jacket; thus they have no exposed metal parts to corrode, no cold leads to fail, and no burnout due to overlap
Pyrotenax MI electric snow melting system:
- Is a copper mineral insulated constant wattage snow melting cable that is protected by a high density polyethylene jacket; making it a rugged yet flexible heating cable that is easy to install and provides a reliable and consistent heat source
Simple Design, Lower Costs
Alternative systems are complex in design, requiring a large amount of auxiliary equipment and extra space. Electric snow melting systems have few components and you can install the controllers in most outdoor environments. This translates to a lower installation and maintenance cost.
No Environmental Concerns
Hydronic heating systems rely on circulating warm fluids, such as a glycol-water mix, to melt snow and ice. These systems can be an environmental hazard due to the risk of leaking glycol into the soil. Pentair Thermal Management systems utilize electric heat trace cables and therefore eliminate this risk.
Advanced Control Systems
Pentair Thermal Management offers a variety of different thermostats, sensors and controllers to meet a wide range of design requirements. The controllers can utilize multiple sensors to provide zone control for better energy efficiency and ensures that the snow melting system is operating properly.
These snow controllers can also be used in conjunction with the Raychem ACCS-30 digital controller. This allows you to control and monitor multiple heat-tracing circuits and systems from a single user interface. Raychem ACCS-30 controller is scalable and can control up to 260 heating cable circuits, allowing for future expansions.
Raychem ElectroMelt self-regulating electric heat trace cables automatically adjust their power output to compensate for temperature changes. Heat is generated as electric current passes through the conductive polymer core between the conductors. As the temperature drops, the number of electrical paths through the core increases and more heat is produced. Conversely, as the temperature rises, the core has fewer electrical paths and less heat is produced.
Raychem self-regulating heat trace cables:
- Can be used for surface snow melting and anti-icing in concrete pavement
- Have a crosslinked, conductive polymer core forming a parallel circuit
- Can be cut to length, spliced or repaired on site
- Are protected by a tinned-copper braid encased in a thick modified polyolefin outer jacket, making it rugged enough for all direct buried snow melting and anti-icing applications.
- Include state-of-the-art connection kits and accessories
Mineral Insulated (MI) Technology
Pyrotenax mineral insulated electric heat trace cables are designed to provide constant power for a wide range of industrial applications.
Pyrotenax mineral insulated heat trace cables:
- Can be used for surface snow melting in concrete, asphalt and pavers
- Consist of a single or dual conductor heating element, magnesium oxide insulation, a solid metal sheath, and an extruded high density polyethylene (HDPE) jacket. The HDPE jacket protects the copper sheath from corrosive elements that can exist in surface snow melting applications.
- Are supplied as complete factory-fabricated assemblies consisting of a heating section that is joined to a non-heating cold lead and terminated with NPT-threaded connectors.
- Can be custom engineered. Simply contact Pentair Thermal Management for more information.
Skin-Effect Heat-Tracing Systems Technology
Raychem STS Skin-Effect Heat-Tracing System is a versatile engineered heat management system that is designed to deliver heat for medium to long pipelines.
- Material transfer lines
- Snow and ice melting
- Tank foundation heating
- Subsea transfer lines
- Prefabricated, pre-insulated lines
- Longline pipe heating
As the industry leader in offering single source responsibility for heat management systems, we offer Skin-Effect Heat-Tracing systems that combine system engineering expertise with proven procurement / construction capabilities.
Advanced Control Systems
Pentair Thermal Management offers a number of advanced control systems for snow melting systems. All controllers are designed specifically for use with the Raychem ElectroMelt self-regulating and Pyrotenax MI heat trace cables.
Pentair Thermal Management offers the following types of control systems:
Raychem EC-TS Sensing thermostats
- Sensing thermostats trigger the system to energize whenever the roof temperature is below freezing.
ETI snow melting and gutter de-icing controllers
- Controllers that trigger the system to energize when both moisture and low temperatures are detected.
- ETI APS series controllers are scalable for large installations and can utilize multiple sensors to provide zone control for maximum energy efficiency.
Raychem ACCS-30 electronic controllers
Raychem ACCS-30 electronic controllers are more advanced multipoint electronic control and monitoring systems that let you:
- Control up to 260 heating cable circuits from a single point of interface
- Control other Pentair Thermal Management heat tracing applications, such as freeze protection, hot water temperature maintenance, roof and gutter deicing, and floor heating from a single user interface; and work in conjunction with the APS series
Additionally, Raychem ACCS-30 controller provides:
- Multiple temperature inputs
- Ground-fault protection
- Alarm contacts
- Building Management System (BMS) integration
Power Distribution System
For installations that require a power distribution system, Pentair Thermal Management offers the Raychem SMPG series of power distribution and control panels. The Raychem SMPG panels are designed for either single-phase or three-phase circuits and integrate a snow melting controller that can utilize multiple sensors.
The SMPG panels provide:
- Multiple sensor inputs
- Ground-fault protection
- Alarm contacts