Industrial longline heating is necessary to heat long pipelines, like transfer lines between processing plants or between storage or transportation facilities, for pipe freeze protection, condensation prevention, viscosity control, or temperature maintenance.
The complexity of this pipe heat trace system comes from the need for long electrical circuit lengths, usually with a single electrical power point.
- Tank farms, piers for ocean transport vessels, and pipes between petrochemical facilities are all ideal applications for longline heating systems.
Longline Heating – A Complete Heat Management System Approach
Pentair Thermal Management offers a wide range of industry-proven longline heating solutions as a complete heat management system which includes the selection of appropriate pipe heat trace technologies, advanced control system technologies, in addition to turnkey services, such as engineering design services and site services.
- Electric heat trace cables – heat trace cables that maintain the temperature of non-flowing fluids by replacing the heat lost through the thermal insulation on pipes, vessels and associated equipment.
- Control and monitoring solutions – devices such as thermostats, controllers, and electric panels that monitor and/or control heat trace cables to help maintain the temperature of the fluid through a heat traced pipe.
- Components and accessories – items for making electrical connections and properly completing the installation, such as end terminations, glass tape and warning labels.
Longline heating is required to ensure that liquids are transported cost-effectively and safely over long distances. In the absence of longline heating, the following problems could result in significant environmental and property losses:
- Liquids becoming too viscous
- Gases condensing
- Liquids freezing resulting in catastrophic pipe failures
Longline heating applications have several challenges, such as:
- Large pipe diameters
- Elevation changes along the length
- Remote locations
- Lack of power availability along the length
For pre-insulated pipes, additional challenges include:
- Alignment of channels
- Lack of insulation at the pipe joints
- Pulling long lengths of cable through the channels
- Lack of accessibility of connection kits
Reliable Engineered Solutions
Pentair Thermal Management designed longline heating technologies keeping these challenges in mind.
- Our Raychem, Pyrotenax, and Tracer heat trace cable technologies allow single circuit lengths from 1000 ft to 15 miles from a single power source. We have:
- Raychem self-regulating, cut-to-length heat trace cables for temperature sensitive fluids
- Raychem polymer-insulated series resistance heat trace cables for medium to high temperature applications
- Tracer skin-effect tracing cables for very long pipelines
- These heat trace products typically come in long lengths minimizing the installation costs of the system
In addition, we meet longline challenges by offering:
- Customized pipe supports, customized power distribution systems, optimized insulation systems and pre-fabricated/ pre-insulated piping systems to minimize the total costs of the longline heating system.
- Advanced control systems with multiple temperature inputs to adequately monitor and control longline heat tracing.
- Fiber optic temperature sensing to measure the temperature of the pipe along its length with 1 meter resolution and 1ºC sensitivity for some specialized applications. This helps to precisely locate temperature variations during commissioning and troubleshooting of the lines.
Premiere Heat Management System Services
A properly designed heat management system is complicated. Let our heat trace experts provide you with turnkey solutions and project management through all phases of your pipe heat tracing project to ensure that you stay on schedule and have an optimal heat trace system that will provide you with many worry-free hours of operationClose <<