In cold locations, thermal insulation alone cannot keep water pipes from freezing. A pipe freeze protection system can prevent freezing of fluids in pipes such as general water piping and fire sprinkler piping.
Read More >>
Pipe Freeze Protection Heat Trace System
Pentair Thermal Management uses electric heat trace cables to keep non-flowing water in pipes, pumps and associated equipment from freezing. The electric heat trace cables are engineered to replace the heat lost through the thermal insulation.
Pentair Thermal Management offers two heat trace cable systems for commercial pipe freeze protection—Raychem XL-Trace for sophisticated applications and Raychem WinterGard for less critical applications.
Both heat trace cable systems utilize self-regulating technology to provide heat where it is needed without worry of overheating. This is particularly important in temperature critical applications such as fire sprinkler systems or plastic pipes.
Raychem XL-Trace is a complete heat trace system that provides pipe freeze protection of metal and plastic pipes, above ground or buried.
- It is best suited for sophisticated applications that require longer circuit lengths, higher power output, and advanced control systems
- It includes heat trace cable, connection kits, power distribution panels, and sophisticated electronic controllers
- It is covered with a 10-year warranty
- Applications include cooling towers, parking garages, coolers, freezers and fire sprinkler heads
- It is the only heating cable system approved for use on fire suppression systems, including sprinkler pipes, including supply pipes, standpipes, and branch lines
- It includes an on-line design tool—XL-ERATE, that can assist you in selecting the correct heating cable and control system to suit your application requirements
When frozen water pipes break, it can lead to costly repairs from plumbing cost to water damage and other potential safety issues.
Reliable and Efficient Pipe Freeze Protection
Raychem pipe freeze protection systems are engineered to keep your pipes from freezing. Raychem XL-Trace and Raychem WinterGard heat trace cables are based on proven self-regulating technology that has provided years of worry free performance.
Pentair Thermal Management is the world leader in heat tracing solutions. We have sold over one billion feet of Raychem self-regulating heat trace cable and are known for technical leadership and expertise in polymer science and radiation cross-linking. And, we offer the most advanced line of heat-trace control and monitoring systems. The Proportional Ambient Sensing Control (PASC) feature, built into the DigiTrace controllers, can result in savings of up to 30% of the energy used by conventional ambient control systems.
Simpler Design, Lower Costs and Energy Saving
Today’s energy conscious environment encourages that every application is provided with an energy efficient system. Pentair Thermal Management’ pipe freeze protection system with Raychem self-regulating heat trace cables and proportional controllers provides only the heat you need, saving energy over conventional constant wattage systems. The DigiTrace ACCS-30 control system monitors the energy of each heating cable circuit to optimize energy usage.
Raychem XL-Trace is Great for Sprinkler Systems
NFPA-13 allows use of electrical heat tracing to freeze protect fire sprinkler systems.
Raychem XL-Trace provides many advantages over dry or glycol fire sprinkler systems:
- Simpler design without the need for dry actuator control or glycol filled systems for freezing areas.
- Simpler retrofit or building expansion designs without worries about water delivery times.
- Longer sprinkler pipe life compared to dry systems. Dry systems have moisture trapped in the pipes after testing, leading to increased internal pipe corrosion, shortening the life of the pipe.
- Lower cost piping compared to galvanized pipe recommended for dry systems.