Safety is the number 1 concern of most companies involved in the handling of petroleum fuels, and protecting the environment is a close second. The regulatory framework in both areas is getting progressively tighter, so if your business involves the production, transportation, storage, refining or consumption of fuels, you need to consider the possibility of a leak.
In some situations the potential source of a leak can be anticipated. A valve pit, an overfill containment or a low point sump is an ideal location for a fast acting fuel probe. Quickly knowing that fuel is accumulating in an unexpected area can be the key to avoiding a catastrophic accident or expensive clean-up.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking that a “slow” leak is a “small” leak. A slow leak results in a large spill if the detection system is too insensitive to detect leaks below a given threshold or below a certain percentage of flow. Far too many leaks are discovered when someone notices the smell of fuel, or after surface/below ground water has become contaminated.
Fuel Leak Detection System
Pentair Thermal Management offers fuel leak detection solutions that will find leaks before they find you.
The TraceTek fuel leak detection system has these basic parts:
- Sensing cables – these cables provide early detection of below ground or above ground “weeps and seeps” before they accumulate into large spills. And the location is reported to the nearest meter.
- Probes – these detect fuel floating on water or fuel accumulating in low spots like sumps or valve pits or on flat surfaces like pump pads. The probes react instantly to even a thin film of fuel and can be reset and reused and even “wet tested” if desired.
- Sensor Interface Modules and Alarm Panels – these are designed to energize the sensor cables and probes, monitor their condition and report the existence and location of any leak detection to operators and other alarm and supervisor systems.
TraceTek hydrocarbon leak detection products have been helping operators detect spills, locate the source of leaks and take corrective action before an incident becomes a “news story.”
The key is quick leak detection and accurate location at the source of the leak. TraceTek sensor cable and monitoring systems let you do that, because if offers you:
- Reliable and accurate fluid leak detection systems for pipelines, tanks, wharfs, airports, pumps and valves.
- Sensor cables and probes that directly detect and pinpoint the source of petroleum leaks to help you take decisive action long before the spill can create damage.
- Early detection at the onset of small leaks well before a typical SCADA system will provide warning.
- Configuration options that automatically shut off pumps or valves where appropriate.
- Digital communications such as local, networked remote alarms and diagnostics including uplink to fuel system control rooms, remote SCADA sites, management systems, email, web or SMS.
- Modular units so that simple or complex systems can be configured for current needs and allow for future expansion.
Whether your concern is gasoline, jet fuel, diesel, crude oil, or bio-fuels, TraceTek can provide a customizable fuel leak detection system tailored to meet your needs.
With the TraceTek fuel leak detection system, you can detect and pinpoint the source of a leak to help you take decisive action long before the spill can ruin your reputation.