For over 20 years, oil companies around the world have relied on Pentair Thermal Management’ PetroTrace Downhole Heating Systems as a flow assurance/enhanced oil recovery tool to improve/facilitate production, eliminate down time, and prolong the life of the well.
Downhole Heating – A Complete Heat Management System Approach
Pentair Thermal Management’ Downhole heating systems are supplied as an engineered system that uses electro-thermal heating technologies to apply heat in the wellbore to provide flow assurance and/or to increase flow in the production string. The heating cables are inserted into the reservoir, providing a constant source of high thermal energy in the pay zone.
A typical system includes:
- Downhole electro-thermal heating cable
- Electric Submersible Pump (ESP) cable
- Power connection and end termination kits
- Clamping systems
- Temperature gauges
- Wellhead connectors
- Top side control and monitoring equipment
In the reservoir, extremely viscous fluids are essentially locked in the formation because of their inability to flow making oil recovery difficult. Bottom-hole heating is a precise method of delivering heat directly to the pay zone.
- This precision makes electric bottom-hole heating an excellent solution for enhanced recovery of heavy crude oils and bitumen, and for reservoirs with high paraffin content.
- Bottom-hole applications include both vertical and horizontal wells.
Crude oil is a mixture of hydrocarbons such as paraffin, aromatics, napthenes, resins and asphaltenes. Among these types of hydrocarbons, the high molecular-weight paraffin (i.e. waxes) and asphaltenes can cause difficulties in the transportation of crude oils from the warm reservoir to the cooler wellhead.
Additionally, the cooling of production oil and gas as it flows from the reservoir up through the production tube can produce a variety of problems.
- Wax molecules begin to precipitate out of the liquid phase below a certain temperature known as the Wax Appearance Temperature (WAT). Below the WAT, waxes can precipitate out on the production tube surface, eventually blocking oil flow in the production tube, and can increase viscosity and reduce production rates.
By delivering a constant source of thermal energy, PetroTrace Downhole heating systems can help avoid the costly interruptions and stoppages associated with paraffin, hydrate or heavy oil plugs.
When our advanced products are combined with our engineering and installation services, you get an integrated solution that is strategically planned and executed for an optimum heat management system (HMS). By understanding the environment and the applications, we can manage the industry’s heat requirements from reservoir to refinery. We offer superior heating systems with engineering expertise and experienced installation services.
Oil companies around the world require a flow assurance / enhanced oil recovery tool to improve/facilitate production, eliminate down time, and prolong the life of the well.
Reservoir to Refinery Flow Assurance Solutions
PetroTrace Downhole heating systems are supplied as an engineered system that uses electro-thermal heating technologies to apply heat in the wellbore to provide flow assurance and/or to increase flow in the production string. The electro-thermal heating cables are inserted into the reservoir, providing a constant source of high thermal energy in the pay zone.
Our proven flow assurance and oil recovery solutions are designed for either offshore or onshore environments, and for a wide array of reservoir characteristics. These solutions can combat production issues associated with paraffinic, heavy or hydrate-laden production fluids.
Through extensive investment in research and development Pentair Thermal Management has and will continue to pioneer new technologies and products to meet the needs of rapidly evolving worldwide markets. One such market is unconventional/enhanced oil recovery and flow assurance.
Unconventional/Enhanced resources are prevalent throughout the world, but have been undeveloped due to the lack of reliable, safe, environmentally sound, and cost effective flow assurance and oil recovery solutions. Pentair Thermal Management offers solutions that embody all of these key attributes while helping to increase production rates, lengthen well life span, and reduce maintenance cost.
Pentair Thermal Management has assisted clients around the world to increase production rates and prevent production shut downs due to blockages within the production string.
In an increasingly global economy, customers recognize Pentair Thermal Management as a partner whose global capabilities translate into solutions in over 100 countries worldwide. Our service centers provide a wide range of engineering design services and site services; and are strategically positioned to execute your specialty project anywhere in the world. We have aworld class safety record, a commitment to quality and the resources to complete your project in a timely, safe manner.
Engineering & Installation Services
Pentair Thermal Management is the leading supplier of complete Engineering and Construction services for Downhole Heat Management Systems.
Understanding the effects of heat transfer in oil wells is a complex study.
- Pentair Thermal Management can produce and supply wellbore hydraulic models and temperature profiles to clearly show the interaction of a PetroTrace Downhole heating systems within the wellbore.
- In addition, Pentair Thermal Management utilizes computational fluid dynamics, reservoir engineering and other management tools to ensure that each PetroTrace Downhole heating system is engineered to match the application and environmental requirements.
- We provide a complete set of engineering drawings and detailed operation and installation instructions with each PetroTrace Downhole heating system to ensure safe and accurate system installation and maintenance.
- Pentair Thermal Management has over 20 years of experience in the installation of PetroTrace Downhole heaters and over 40 years installing Heat Management Systems throughout the oilfield industry. We can provide installation and commissioning services with all PetroTrace Downhole heating systems.