Large commercial buildings need a way to provide hot water at the tap in the most energy efficient way, without long waits or wasting water.
Read More >>
Hot Water Temperature Maintenance Heat Trace System
Pentair Thermal Management has a sophisticated domestic hot water temperature maintenance (HWAT) system that provides immediate hot water at the tap that is more energy efficient and saves more water than a recirculation system.
Whereas, a recirculation system:
- Requires that you keep the water heater temperature in the system at least five degrees above the maintain temperature to compensate for the heat that is lost in the recirculation loop.
- Requires return lines, pumps, and balancing valves as part of the system.
Pentair Thermal Management hot water temperature maintenance (HWAT) system provides a simple, reliable alternative to recirculation in commercial buildings. The HWAT system:
- Maintains the water at a uniform temperature along the entire length of the supply pipe. Thus, it is unnecessary to heat the water above the maintain temperature.
- Includes HWAT heat trace cables that can be installed up to the fixture, which mean that you get hot water faster and waste less water.
HWAT is a fully integrated system that includes:
- Electric heat trace cables – the HWAT-Y2 and HWAT-R2 heat trace cables adjust their power output along the entire length of the pipe to compensate for variations in water temperature and ambient temperature. These cables are designed for installation on hot water supply pipes underneath standard pipe insulation.
- Connection kits and accessories – items for making electrical connections and properly completing the installation, such as power connection and end seal kits.
- Advanced control systems – electronic controllers that monitor and/or control the desired temperature maintenance of the pipes.
Simple hot water temperature maintenance system compared to recirculation:
- The self-regulating heating cable compensates for the heat loss of the supply pipe
- No return pipe or pump.
- Maintain temperature of the pipe can be programmed as required on 24/7 calendar schedule
- Instant hot water
- Minimal water waste
- Supply and return pipes, fittings, insulation, etc.
- Complicated design
- Labor intensive
- Balancing valves
- Circulation pump power
- High maintenance
- High heat loss
- High water waste
Complies with ASPE water delivery times and non-circulated pipe length requirements.list-item
ASPE allows up to 50 feet of non-circulated hot water supply pipe, but requires that hot water is delivered within 30 seconds. This is only possible for high flow fixtures, not today’s 0.5 GPM. HWAT can be installed all the way to the tap to meet these ASPE requirements.
Complies with approval standards, plumbing codes and energy standards
The HWAT system, with or without the HWAT-ECO or ACCS-30 controller, is UL Listed, CSA Certified, and FM Approved in nonhazardous locations.
The HWAT system satisfies the following international and national codes:
- International Plumbing Code
- International Building Code
- International Energy Conservation Code
- National Standard Plumbing Code
- National Electrical Code
- Canadian Electrical Code
- Massachusetts Building Code
- City of New York Construction Code
- California Title 24 energy code
- IAPMO Green Plumbing & Mechanical Code Supplement