Subfreezing temperatures inside cold rooms and freezers can seep through the floor, even when it is well insulated. As the soil underneath freezes, capillary action draws water into the frozen areas where the water forms a concentrated ice mass. As the ice mass grows, it can heave the floor and columns, causing damage to the structure and putting valuable inventory at risk.
Freezer Frost Heave Prevention Heat Trace System
Pentair Thermal Management
Pentair Thermal Management offers a freezer frost heave prevention system that when installed in the subfloor under the freezer-floor insulation, can prevent frost heave damage in commercial freezers, ice arenas or other cold room areas.
Other frost heave prevention systems, such as hydronic heating systems, require a complex design that:
- Requires regular maintenance to various components
- Can be an environmental hazard as there is a risk of leaking glycol into the soil
Pentair Thermal Management frost heave prevention systems have a simple design consisting of:
- Electric heat trace cables – Raychem RaySol heat trace cables adjust their power output to compensate for temperature variations and can be installed in conduit; or Pyrotenax MI heat trace cables which are supplied as complete factory-fabricated assemblies, provide constant power output, and can be installed in conduit or directly embedded underneath the subfloor
- Connection kits and accessories – easy-to-install items for making electrical connections and properly completing the installation, such as power connections, end seal kits and junction boxes
- Advance control systems – controllers that monitor and/or control the heat trace cable to help maintain the temperature of the surface
Reliable, Efficient Freezer Frost Heave Prevention
Let our freezer frost heave prevention systems prevent frost heave damage in your commercial freezers, ice arenas or other cold room areas.
Pentair Thermal Management offers a variety of integrated technologies to meet your specific freezer frost heave prevention needs. We are the world leader in heat tracing solutions. We have sold over one billion feet of Raychem self-regulating heat trace cable and are known for technical leadership and expertise in polymer science and radiation cross-linking. Our Pyrotenax mineral insulated heat trace cable has been an industry leader for over 75 years. And, we offer the most advanced line of heat-trace control and monitoring systems.
Simple Design, Lower Costs
Alternative systems are complex in design, requiring a large amount of auxiliary equipment and extra space. Electric frost heave prevention systems require few components and you can install the controllers in most indoor environments. This translates to a lower system installation and maintenance cost.
No Environmental Concerns
Hydronic heating systems rely on circulating warm fluids, such as a glycol-water mix, to prevent frost heave. These systems can create environmental hazards due to the risk of leaking glycol into the soil. Pentair Thermal Management’ systems utilize electric heat trace cables and therefore eliminate this risk.
Easy Service Access
Conduit installations allow for easy service access to the heating cables underneath the floor. This allows for less system downtime during maintenance periods.
Advanced Controls Systems
Pentair Thermal Management offers a variety of different controllers and accessories to meet a wide range of design requirements.
With the DigiTrace C910 and DigiTrace ACCS-30 digital controllers, you can:
- Save energy by minimizing the amount of time the system is energized while ensuring that the soil temperature is kept above freezing
- Program temperature setpoints on a 24/7 schedule to maximize energy savings and abide by energy code requirements, such as California Title 24, where frost heave systems can be turned off during peak demand hours
Additionally, DigiTrace ACCS-30 control platform lets you:
- Control up to 260 heating cable circuits from a single point of interface
- Control other Pentair Thermal Management heat tracing applications, such as freeze protection, hot water temperature maintenance, roof and gutter deicing, surface snow melting and floor heating from a single user interface